Best way to protect my new commercial software.

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Sat Dec 22 02:46:23 EST 2007

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <...netcom.com> wrote:

> SD  declaimed the following in
> comp.lang.python:
>

> > At 15-35 lines, it is short enough for people to copy it down on paper,
> > or even memorize it, then take it home and work on finding a
> > vulnerability in it.
>
> <heh> I'd actually been thinking of the real product getting out,
> not just the "protection"...

I wonder if the OP would not be better off splitting the app into two bits,
releasing the "client" side and keeping the "server" side secret, in a protected
directory.

That would add the complication of a protocol to make a hacker's life more
miserable, and if there is an "interesting bit" it can be hidden in the server
side.

It also has the advantage that you can log accesses to the server.

Its a lot of extra work, though, and if the stuff is computationally intensive,
it can be slow, because what could be done concurrently on several client
machines would be done serially on the single secret server.

Pyro could help here, as always.

- Hendrik