Another newbie design question

Jim B. Wilson wilson at afn.org
Mon Dec 17 14:45:19 EST 2007

MartinRinehart at gmail.com wrote:

> If you can only [block comments] or [multi-line strings] the other,
> which is more helpful?

I'm afraid no one would use a language that didn't feature block
comments.  However, inspection of a vast corpus of code might lead one
to believe that any commenting capability was completely unnecessary.

> Should I have both? (Make a strong argument here: my design principal
>  is, "Designed by a backpacker: when in doubt, leave it out.")

After my brief experience with Python, I don't think I'd advocate the
removal of """'d strings.  They come in quite handy in a lot of
practical cases.

And remember: "If you need it and you don't have it, you don't need it."
(at least in backpacking :)

Jim Wilson
Gainesville, FL