pipeline encoding

Rob Wolfe rw at smsnet.pl
Thu Dec 6 14:32:34 EST 2007

Tomek Toczyski <guf at kajak.org.pl> writes:

> Are there any command line option for telling python what encoding to
> use for stdout?
>
> To be honest I have a more complicated program than the example that I
> have presented - there are many print commands inside and it is not
> very feasible for me to put .encode('utf-8') inside every print
> occurence.

You can use sitecustomize.py [1]_ for that purpose, e.g.
create this file in your current directory:

# sitecustomize.py
import sys
sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8')

and run Python like that:

PYTHONPATH=. python -c "print u'\u03A9'" > file.txt

But remember that when you copy this file to the global
PYTHONPATH on your system it will affect all Python
programs.

.. [1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-site.html

HTH,
Rob