Witch editor to use!

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 2 10:47:40 EST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:50:06 -0800 (PST), rm <rmcorrespond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Both Vim and Emacs are hard to learn.  In other words, they will
> require that you spend at least some time studying how they work and
> practicing.  They have a learning curve that is much larger than using
> something simple like NEdit, Gedit, KWrite, etc.  But, they are a lot
> more powerful.

In other words: if there are no features, you don't have to work to
learn them?

I agree that learning to use an editor well is hard work -- but its
well worth it.  It's the primary interface between the programmer and
the computer, and will continue to be so until you are too old to
type.

> One thing that I think favors Vim over Emacs, is that
> Vim seems to be installed by default on almost all Linux distros.

As I understand it, they tend to include a crippled version of vim
with many of the interesting features disabled.  Doesn't help a Python
developer much.  Of course, both Emacs and the full vim are
trivial to install, unless you're the sysadmin's sworn enemy.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!