"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Patrick Mullen saluk64007 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 01:26:12 EST 2007

Monty Python pioneered (or at least pioneered the organized televising
of) a form of humor where there is no punchline or reason something is
funny, it just is (or isn't).  I find about half of it very funny, and
the rest very unfunny.  I used to find it more hilarious than I do
now.  It's an extremely subjective humor.  It's not that the jokes
aren't funny (or meant to be) it's that there is nothing to "get".  If
you are trying to understand it (get the joke), it's a lost cause :)
When they do have a joke which has a "reason" it loses its impact if
the rest of the silliness didn't affect you.

This form of humor continues in shows like Saturday Night Live.  They
do have actual jokes on that show for instance, but many of the skits
are just silly characters doing silly things that often don't make
sense, and actual punchlines at the end of a skit are fairly rare.