CPython and a C extension using Boehm GC

malkarouri malkarouri at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 06:34:28 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to write a Python extension that uses the Boehm garbage
collector?
I have a C library written that makes use of boehm-gc for memory
management. To use that, I have to call GC_INIT() at the start of the
program that uses the library. Now I want to encapsulate the library
as a CPython extension. The question is really is that possible? And
will there be conflicts between the boehm-gc and Python memory
management? And when should I call GC_INIT?

Best Regards,

Muhammad Alkarouri