Newbie edit/compile/run cycle question

Jeremy C B Nicoll jeremy at omba.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 17:42:53 EST 2007

Simon Forman <sajmikins at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 6:45 pm, Jeremy C B Nicoll <jer... at omba.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Ah, I've been using IDLE so far (but would probably prefer to write
> > Python in my normal text editor).  In IDLE Alt-X syntax checks the saved
> > copy of the file being edited (at least it seems to), and I was
> > wondering how to replicate that elsewhere.
>
> I don't know of a command line tool to do that, but I hasten to point
> out that you have the source code of IDLE available so you could just
> figure out what it's doing and encapsulate that in a script.

I was afraid someone would suggest that.  Figuring out how IDLE works is a
bit beyond me at this stage.

I note the idea posted by Jan Claeys involves running a working python
program which manages the compile process, which is an approach I'd not have
thought of in a hurry.  My experience of other languages' compilers has
never been like this, eg to compile a Fortran program I would not expect to
run a Fortran program that calls the compiler, IYSWIM.