Why does __builtins__ mean different things...

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 21 21:11:06 EST 2007

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> James Stroud wrote:
 >> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>>> randomly dropping letters in
>>> names is going to result in bad behavior, so be more careful about it.

Implying I've randomly dropped a letter? Where did I randomly drop a letter?

>  From what I can tell, the message Erik replied to looks the same in my
> newsfeed, so if you are convinced that you *didn't* write the part about
> how documented behaviour (*) is unpredictable just because you haven't
> learned about it yet, it might be a network problem at your end.

Even if this minutiae is documented, which it is--thanks--How exactly
have we come to accusing someone of randomly dropping letters and then
jumping to the defense of the accusers based on irrelevant observations?

I swear there is another thread going on here of which I am not aware.

Perhaps we should read each others' postings as closely as we read the
documentation?

Also, my original point was that the exact same code, ran in the exact
same implementation of python, produces different results depending on
whether it was imported. That such behavior is documented, as you have
pointed out, doesn't make it any more excusable, at least in my opinion.
Your opinion may be different.