"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Zara yozara at terra.es
Tue Dec 4 03:38:33 EST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 13:40:10 -0800 (PST), "Russ P."
<Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 1, 12:47 pm, "J. Clifford Dyer" <j... at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 12:10 -0800, Russ P. wrote:

>> > Think about proposing its use to someone who has never heard of it
>> > (which I did not too long ago). As the OP pointed out, a Python is a
>> > snake. Why should a programming language be named after a snake?
>>
>> That's not a persuasive argument.
>>
>> First of all, Python is named for a comedy troupe from England.  For
>> comparison, Perl is named for a knitting technique, Lisp is named for a
>> speech impediment, Ruby is named for a rock, Smalltalk is named for a
>> not-so-useful form of communication, and Java is named after a beverage
>> or an island.
>>
>> Which of those is a good name for a programming language by your
>> criterion?
>
>None. None of them are good names by my criteria. But then, a name is
>only a name. One of the few names I like is Pascal, because he was a
>great mathematician and scientist.
>
>After thinking about it a bit, here are examples of what I would
>consider a good name for a programming language:
>
>Newton#
>Newton*
>Newton+
>
>Newton was a great scientist, and his name is easy to spell and
>pronounce. The trailing character serves to disambiguate it from
>Newton in online searches. For shorthand in online discussions, N#,
>N*, or N+ could be used as aliases.
>
>Names of other great scientists, mathematicians, or computer
>scientists could also be used, of course. Take your pick.
>
>How about renaming Python3000?

I would never use the name of a mathematician for a procedural
language. Mathemathician names should be for funtional languages (such
as Haskell).

Procedural languages are flexible, they keep on tangling and getting
out of it, they like publicity:

Houdini

or, as suggested in other messages:

Houdini3