Python DLL in Windows Folder

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Dec 25 01:20:36 EST 2007

Ross Ridge <rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>Chris Mellon <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>What the python installer is doing is the Right Thing for making the
>>standard python dll available to third party applications.
>>Applications that want a specific version of a specific DLL should use
>>the mechanisms available for doing so, instead of relying on there
>>being a specific version of the python dll in the windows folder. This
>>is just general best practice on Windows.
>
>No, it's not best practice for an application install any of its files
>in the Windows system directory.

Python is more than an application.  It's a development tool, and its DLLs
are needed by any of the Python applications I create.  I disagree with
your assertion.

>The system directory is ment only for drivers and system files.

In your view, what disqualifies python24.dll as a "system file"?  The fact
that it wasn't produced by Microsoft?

>Installing application DLLs in the system directory is something that
>should only be done for backwards compatiblity.

Deployment of Python applications is much easier when python24.dll is
located there.   That has to weigh in the equation.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.