Newbie edit/compile/run cycle question

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 8 16:25:04 EST 2007

<MartinRinehart at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1f995159-fc02-4cd1-aa99-7f8500eeaeec at b1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...
| What don't I know that I should know to just edit/run, preferably at
| the tap of a function key?

In IDLE, which come with Python, it is  F5. (See Options/General/Autosave)
Startup is about .1 sec since the program runs in a window of the same
interpreter.
Stand-alone editors require longer to start a separate interpreter,
but then you have a clean new interpreter that is not running TK or
anything else.
Your choice.  Have fun.

If you run a separate interpreter, you might benefit from also having an
interactive interpreter window open in which to run quick experiments to
check names or syntax you are not sure of.  This comes with running idle.

tjr