Is a "real" C-Python possible?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue Dec 11 17:16:59 EST 2007

On 11 Des, 20:25, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:

> Shed Skin effort. Its author writes "Am I the only one seeing the potential
> of an implicitly statically typed Python-like-language that runs at
> practically the same speed as C++?"

Don't forget about Pyrex and PyPy's RPython.

By the way, we don't need a hotspot JIT compiler. Lisp has a compiler
invoked by the programmer. We could include optional static typing in
Python, and have an optional static optimizing native compiler for
selected portions of code. That would be easier to implement in the
short run, with  JIT-capabilities added later. Pyrex, ShedSkin or
RPython are all good starting points.