mac dashboad

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 17:06:39 EST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 3:25 PM, Carl K <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> ianaré wrote:
> > On Dec 21, 12:37 pm, Carl K <c... at personnelware.com> wrote:
> >> How do I hang an app off the mac dashboard?
> >>
> >> The goal is a python version of Weatherbug.
> >>
> >> something like:
> >> read xml data from a URL,
> >> display some numbers,
> >> mouse over shows more details
> >>
> >> Carl K
> >
> > What is the dashboard - is it anything like the taskbar in windows/
> > Gnome? If it is, take a look at this:
> >
> > http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.3/wx_wxtaskbaricon.html
>
> Yes.  But I don't want to rely on wx - trying to use just native mac python
> (whatever they ship with)

Dashboard widgets are written using HTML and Javascript. They are
rendered by a WebKit instance which, as far as I know, has no
mechanism for Python scripting. Unless it does, you can't write a
widget in Python, and even so you wouldn't use wx (or any other GUI
toolkit) to do so - your display medium is HTML and the Canvas object.
There's lots of articles on developer.apple.com about writing
Dashboard widgets.