Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 9 22:26:44 EST 2007

"Jack" <nospam at invalid.com> wrote in message
news:vLadnbUkzunUHsHanZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d at comcast.com...
| The second articple does have a column for Psyco. It helps in some areas
| but still not good enough to stand up against Java. Plus, Psyco is not
the
| main stream and has stopped development.

It further development is effectively part of the PyPy project, which
includes some jit work.

| I'm also wondering, if Psyco is the right way to do, any reason it's not
| being integrated into standard Python?

It does not accelerate everything and may slow somethings, it was (is?)
not compatible with everything, it bloats space requirements, it competes
with C/Fortran coded extensions (such as NumPy), it was originally I386
specific, its development cycle was much faster than Python's release
cycle, ...

The cutoff between what goes in the core/stdlib is arbitrary in borderline
cases, but some cutoff is necessary.

tjr