Tkinter vs. py2exe problem

msunderwd at gmail.com msunderwd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:50:00 EST 2007

Having a problem with "compiling" a Tkinter/python program using
py2exe (and pyinstaller, for that matter)...

I have several dialogs that are derived from the tkSimpleDialog.Dialog
class.  These work just fine if run through the interpreter.  When I
"compile" this with py2exe, I don't see any errors, and when I execute
the resulting program, it "appears" to work fine until I invoke one of
the derived dialogs.

Then, I get the "body" of the dialog, but no "OK" or "Cancel" button,
and I get the following exception:

               AttributeError: MyDialog instance has no attribute
'buttonbox'

For reference, MyDialog is declared as follows:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Tkinter import *
import tkSimpleDialog
class MyDialog(tkSimpleDialog.Dialog)

And my setup.py file looks like this:

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(console=['tcgui3.py'])

I'm invoking py2exe like this:

C:\python setup.py py2exe -p Tkinter -p tkSimpleDialog

??????