wxPython in C++ app using wxWidgets

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 20:30:46 EDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Marcin Kalicinski <kalita at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> I have an application written in C++ that uses wxWidgets for GUI. I use
> embedded Python for scripting inside of this application. I want to use
> wxPython to add GUI to my scripts - because my C++ App uses wxWidgets I
> thought it to be easy. The problem is that wxPython knows nothing about
> wxApp/wxFrame objects created in my C++ application, and insists (by giving
> me asserts) that I create another wxApp object for wxPython inside my
> scripts. Obviously, this is not what I want. I want the scripts to use the
> same wxApp/wxFrame object that my C++ application already created. More
> specifically, I want to create dialogs in wxPython that will have my
> application wxFrame as parent.
>
> I'm stuck. Any help appreciated.

I've never done this, but there's a sample in the wxPython source
distribution (I don't think it's in the packaged versions). You can
see it in SVN at
http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxPython/trunk/samples/embedded/

If you have questions the sample doesn't answer, or if it doesn't work
for you, ask on the wxpython-users list instead of this one.