Encryption and hashing

Kless jonas.esp at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 18 04:41:29 EDT 2007

On 18 ago, 00:20, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Kless <jonas.... at googlemail.com> writes:
> > So it haven't Twofish, Serpent, neither Whirlpool. Neither many others.
>
> Unless you have an interoperability requirement or some other specific
> issue, you should stick with AES and the SHA2 family.  Don't make your
> own cipher selections unless you know completely what you're doing.
> This is especially the case for business applications in the US, since
> AES and SHA are US federal standards and if you use them and something
> goes wrong with them, you can at least say you followed the standard.
> If you use anything else, you will have more to answer for.

Well, I only know that I choose the best public cryptographic
algorithms.

SHA-2 has been designed by the National Security Agency (NSA), and I'm
sure that many people trust on the NSA so that every people make its
election.
But I'm sure that many people will avoid use algorithms recommend by
the governement. And I don't know why :P, they always say the truth
and we must trust on them. I'm sure that having great experts on
cryptography they are not bee able of put a backdoor indetectable or
better to debilitate the algorithm so that it is easier to break it.