Tkinter or wxpython?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:25:15 EDT 2007

On Aug 6, 10:27 am, Kevin Walzer <k... at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
> > Tkinteger (dang, I always end up typing it that way, I won't even
> > bother fixing the error) is easy to use for simple gui's, and it's
> > part of the standard python distro which for me is a big advantage (no
> > extra crap to download).  However, the widget set is rather ugly and
> > doesn't blend in well with anyone's native widgets; the widget
> > selection itself is rather narrow, and I think kyosohma may be right
> > that it doesn't scale well to complex gui's.  I've looked at the code
> > for IDLE's gui and it's terrifying.
>
> It's entirely possible to make sophisticated GUI's in Tkinter, but you
> are right, most people don't. Part of the issue is that Tkinter
> developers haven't kept up with what's going on in Tk and instead use
> outdated, ugly widget sets like Tix, PMW, and so on. Making use of the
> available wrappers for current Tk libraries such as BWidgets, Tile,
> Tablelist, TkTreeCtrl, and so on allows you to make UI's every bit as
> polished as what comes with wxPython: tree views, multi-column lists,
> notebook tabs, comboboxes, etc., with platform-specific theming
> (XP/Vista, Aqua/OS X, and X11).
>
> For more references, see:
>
> http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapperhttp://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListWrapperhttp://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListTileWrapperhttp://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/PyLocatehttp://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/PyLocateTilehttp://tkinter.unpy.net/bwidget/http://tkinter.unpy.net/wiki/NoteBookhttp://klappnase.zexxo.net/TkinterTreectrl/index.html

I tried the PMW widget toolkit. It was ok, but it seemed kind of
buggy. I found out about Tix on a forum of some sort. When I tried to
find out how to get it and use it, all I found was conflicting
information. I finally got it downloaded only to find I had to compile
it and I didn't have the right version of TCL. So I switched to
wxPython then. Months later I found out that Tix is now included with
Python.

I still don't know how to use it though. As with most external Tkinter
widget sets, Tix doesn't have examples. The docs look less inviting
than man pages...but I realize that's probably just me. I just don't
like man pages much.

Thanks for the info though. You never know when you might need another
toolkit for a specialized job.

Mike