Python question (PyNoob)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Aug 19 23:45:46 EDT 2007

"Anonymous" <no.reply at here.com> wrote in message
news:3uOdnbA4Bc27fFXbnZ2dnUVZ8vidnZ2d at bt.com...
|I have exp with C/C++ (and a few other langs). I want to use Python to
| start doing the ff:
|
| 1). Data Munging (text processing) - instead of Perl
| 2). Automating my build process
| 3). (Possibly) some web data retrieval jobs
|
| Can anyone point me to resurces/possibly scripts that can get me up to
| speed (to do these 3 things) ASAP, without having to learn the basics of
| programming?

Your first sentence suggests that you already know the basics of
programming, so perhaps you meant something a bit different?  such as not
figure out for yourself the basic idioms of Python, but learn them from
code?

In any case, item 1 seems too broad for specific help.  As to item three,
there are modules and indeed programs available.  Check PyPI on the Python
site, or search this newsgroup's archives (groups.google.com) or the web
generally.

tjr