my parser.py isn't imported

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Aug 26 18:47:19 EDT 2007

Hallöchen!

John Machin writes:

> On Aug 27, 1:36 am, Torsten Bronger <bron... at physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a module parser.py in the same directory as the main
>> module.  In the main module, I import "parser".  On Linux, this
>> works as expected, however on Windows, it imports the stdlib
>> parser module.  sys.path[0] points to the directory of my
>> parser.py in both cases.  What went wrong here?
>
> Ask a literal question, get a literal answer :-)
>
> 1. Failure to consider that problems can happen [and therefore
> will happen [1]] when there are multiple entities with the same
> name.

So I'd like to know a means to tell *explicitly* what I want to
import.  Maybe I could use the imp module but that's ugly.  I mean,
there are hundreds of modules on my harddisk, so trying to avoid
nameclashs should not be the solution, and given ...

> 2. Failure to RTFabulousM:
> """
> Details of the module searching and loading process are
> implementation and platform specific. It generally involves
> searching for a ``built- in'' module with the given name and then
> searching a list of locations given as sys.path.
> """

... the whole systems seems largely arbitrary, which I don't
believe.  ;-)

"parser" is built-in on Windows but not on Linux.  What's the list
of modules that *may* be built-in on some platform or
implementation?  Or should I avoid the whole standard lib for names
of my modules?  Or even everything which is shipped e.g. with
Enthought Python?  I find this quite irritating.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org
                      (See http://ime.webhop.org for ICQ, MSN, etc.)