Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Aug 12 13:49:18 EDT 2007

Fabio Z Tessitore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> reading Dive Into Python, on Chapter 6 (exception), I've found:
>
> "This code comes from the getpass module, a wrapper module for getting a
> password from the user"
>
> try:
> 	import termios, TERMIOS
> except ImportError:
> 	try:
> 		import msvcrt
> 	except ImportError:
> 		try:
> 			from EasyDialogs import AskPassword
> 		except ImportError:
> 			getpass = default_getpass
> 		else:
> 			getpass = AskPassword
> 	else:
> 		getpass = win_getpass
> else:
> 	getpass = unix_getpass
>
> Knowing that this code is very simple, my question is about simplicity. I
> think it is simpler the following code. I haven't a long experience on
> Python, so I'd like to know your opinions about.
>
> try:
> 	import termios, TERMIOS
> 	getpass = unix_getpass
>
> except ImportError:
> 	try:
> 		import msvcrt
> 		getpass = win_getpass
>
> 	except ImportError:
> 		try:
> 			from EasyDialogs import AskPassword
> 			getpass = AskPassword
>
> 		except ImportError:
> 			getpass = default_getpass

In matters of style such as this there *are* only opinions. I don't
think there are definite grounds for preferring either one.

If you were to propose such a patch on the python-dev list, it would
almost certainly be rejected - not because it is necessarily worse, but
because it would represent a change of style only.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119