negative polar axis

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Aug 13 13:58:27 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:

> About the best interpretation I can think of is to add 180 degrees to
> the angle and reverse the sign of the magnitude, but this would be a
> hack. Where are those coordinates coming from?

Well, sometimes in polar coordinates (r, theta), r is allowed to be
negative.  The usual translation from polar to Cartesian coordinates
makes this meaningful, albeit weird, so in effect the resulting
positions are just reflections around the origin.

Which I suppose is what the original poster was asking about, but it's
still not clear.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   The conviction of wisdom is the plague of man.
    -- Montaigne