Case study: library class inheritance with property declarations

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Aug 2 10:05:43 EDT 2007

cdleary at gmail.com a écrit :
(snip)
> Last post -- I swear.
>
> I failed to realize that it's all part of an extremely well defined
> attribute resolution protocol, and handled via the descriptor
> specification. Discussing descriptors was on the TODO list for the
> type/class unification document, but there's a very fulfilling
> explanation by Raymond Hettinger: http://users.rcn.com/python/download/Descriptor.htm
> Also, the official doc is here: http://docs.python.org/ref/descriptors.html
>
> Maybe the documentation for the property builtin should make reference
> to the descriptor specification? If nobody thinks this is silly, I'll
> submit a documentation patch in a few days.

What to say ? As an old-time pyton user (well... 7+ years now) and
meta-programming addict, it's nothing new to me, but the fact that you
didn't realize it is certainly a clear indication that documentation is
not really up to date, so yes, submitting a patch is certainly a pretty
good idea.

> Sorry for the spam -- hope someone besides me learns from it!

What's to be learned is mostly that we (the whole community) should take
more care of the doc (which I never contributed FWIW, so I'm the first
one that should feel in guilt here).