Best programs written completly in Python

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Mon Aug 6 03:58:04 EDT 2007

markacy a écrit :
> On 5 Sie, 12:14, Franz Steinhäusler <franz.steinhaeus... at gmx.at>
> wrote:
>> Hello NG,
>>
>> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
>> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
>> a) Games
>> b) Utilities/System
>> c) Office
>> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser
>>
>> I don't want to start a long thread, if a site of such
>> an discussion already exists, a link will be enough.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> Franz Steinhaeusler
>
> I guess, that gentoo's portage is (almost?) entirely written in
> python.

IIRC, yes (or perahps does it use a couple bash scripts too).

> The same is with Zope/Plone

"Zope/Plone" makes two distinct applications : the web application
server Zope, and the CMS Plone.

> (Web category), though I know,
> that Zope has some parts of code written in C.

Yes. Mostly for low-level parts that couldn't be done in pure Python, at
least by the time they were written.

> Django?

Then mention CherryPy, Turbogears and Pylons (and *quite* a lot of web
frameworks FWIW) too !-)

Oh, and yes, there's Twisted too...