Fatest standard way to sum bytes (and their squares)?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Aug 12 20:14:19 EDT 2007

Alexander Schmolck wrote:

> Is this any faster?
>
>  ordSum, orsSumSq = (lambda c:c.real,c.imag)(sum(complex(ord(x),ord(x)<<1)
>                                                  for x in data))

That's pretty clever, but I neglected to mention that I need to
accumulate the sums as ints/longs to avoid losing precision, so
converting to floating point isn't an optional.  (The sums are
normalized by the sizes of the files and expanded to 32 bits in order to
maximize precision.)

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
    -- Oscar Wilde