status of Programming by Contract (PEP 316)?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 01:58:28 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 7:21 am, Russ <uymqlp... at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that information. That's too bad, because it seems like a
> strong positive capability to add to Python. I wonder why the cold
> reception. Were there problems with the idea itself or just the
> implementation? Or is it just a low priority?

Why do you think that would ad a strong positive capability?
To me at least it seems a big fat lot of over-engineering, not
needed in 99% of programs. In the remaining 1%, it would still not
be needed since Python provides out of the box very powerful
metaprogramming capabilities so that you can implement
yourself the checks you need, if you really need them.

> In any case, I guess it is still perfectly usable even if it isn't
> part of the core Python. Has anyone used it? If so, how well did it
> work? Thanks.

Dunno, I would be curious myself to know if there are users
of these frameworks (including AOP frameworks in Python) or
if they are just exercises.

       Michele Simionato