Chaining programs with pipe

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 28 19:18:48 EDT 2007

On 28 ago, 09:19, Grant Edwards <gra... at visi.com> wrote:
> On 2007-08-28, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>
> > On Windows, windowed applications (as opposed to console
> > applications) start with no stdin/stdout/stderr by default.
> > The application developer can modify that if desired, of
> > course - I've menctioned some ways to do that. This fact
> > simply means that those OS's *are* different - most of the
> > time one can ignore the differences, but not always. Neither
> > of them is doing the absolute "Right Thing".
>
> We're never going have any good flames with that sort of
> attitude.  ;)

Does this help with the right attitude?

"How serious can be a system where you can't say 'Open this file using
my preferred application for it'"?

"A 'stream of bytes' was not a good file metaphor even in the 70's -
why still insist on that? How old-fashioned...! Ever read about ADS?"

"Gay-Lussac's Law is not true in chemistry anymore - why insist on
using small integers for all things? I got a PID from a process. I can
see a running process with that same PID. Are they the same? Go
figure!"

- I got this file name from here. Could you please tell me which
character encoding is it using?
- Character encoding? What's that?
- This name has some characters that aren't ASCII obviously, and I
want to know how to interpret them.
- Sorry, I can't help you. The only thing I can see here are byte
sequences.
- But how should I display them? The user is concerned with
characters, not bytes!
- I'm really sorry, there's nothing I can do.
- Could you please forward my request to the file system then?!?!
- FS has no answer either.

:-)

--
Gabriel Genellina