Querying Graphics Card Name

Benjamin Goldenberg bgoldenberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:58:54 EDT 2007

On Aug 9, 3:26 pm, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Benjamin Goldenberg wrote:
> > I would like to find out the name of the graphics card of the
> > machine my program is running on. I have looked into the pyopengl
> > module, and using them to query the card, but it seems like there
> > ought to be a simpler way to find this out without setting up a
> > glcontext. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> You could execute glxinfo and look for the renderer string. If
> that's sharp enough for your purpose. Another option is lspci.

I should have clarified. I would like a cross platform implementation,
Windows and *nix. It doesn't seem as if glxinfo is available under
Windows, at least not without installing X11 under cygwin. If
necessary, I can write the *nix and Windows queries separately.

Thanks,
Benjamin