xlrd question

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Aug 6 19:04:32 EDT 2007

On Aug 4, 10:48 am, JYOUN... at kc.rr.com wrote:
> I ran your code which gave me this:

> 2.3.5 (#1, Jan 30 2006, 13:30:29)
> [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1819)]
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
> xlrd/__init__.pyc
>
> and as far as I can tell, the runxlrd.py file is located here (where I had drug this folder
> originally):
>
> Macintosh HD/xlrd-0.6.1/scripts/runxlrd.py
>
> So if I'm understanding this correctly, xlrd only uses the folder you download (xlrd-0.6.1)
> and then moves the
> '__init__.pyc' file to the location mentioned above?

Try actually *looking* in "the location mentioned above". Try actually
*looking* in the download folder -- do you see a file called
__init__.pyc? If you do, check the creation timestamp :-)

> There's definitely no problems or concerns.  :-)    I'm doing a bit of research to see if this
> might be something I
> use down the road at work.  Our I/T department is extremely strict as to what we put on
> employees machines
> so I want to have a good understanding as to where files are installed so I can let i/T know all
> the details.

I would have thought that: (1) If your company already uses Python,
the IT dept should have already come to grips with installing third-
party packages, and shouldn't need your help to find out where a
package's files are installed. (2) If they don't already use Python,
where a packages's files are installed is a minor fraction of the
concerns that would need to be overcome. (3) It might be a good idea
to ask informally what would be required to get a particular package
made available.