Time object?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Aug 1 12:45:58 EDT 2007

Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm well aware of the datetime module, however it is really inconsistent
> and useless to me. In order to do any arithmetic on time objects, I have
> to use the 'timedelta' class, which doesn't even allow me to do all the
> math I want to do.
>
> For example, I want to do "1 / timeobj", where timeobj might represent a
> time in the format of "00:00:00.000000". Do I have to code my own class
> for this, or is there some other third party library out there that will
> allow me to do this?
>
> Thanks.

But surely all you really need is a function to convert a timedelta to
seconds. Like:

secs(td):
   return (td.days*24*3600)+td.seconds+(td.microseconds/1000000.0)

So I don't really see the need for a third party library. It may be
useless to you: have you considered that your use case might be
non-standard? Or perhaps you just like to make things difficult.

Once you have your times in seconds then rate calculations are a piece
of cake.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119