Filemaker interactions

Jay Loden python at jayloden.com
Wed Aug 1 18:13:16 EDT 2007

Ian Witham wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping someone here can put me on the right track with some broad
> concepts here.
>
> What I am hoping to achieve is a simple HTML page to be served over
> our company LAN, into which the users (Real Estate Agents) can enter a
> property address or reference number.
>
> My next thought was to have a Python CGI script query our filemaker
> database of property listings, construct a PDF from the relevant
> information, and finally return this PDF to the user.
>
> At no stage do I want the user to have unfettered access to the
> database or the ability to alter/delete records.
>
> My question is: what is the most appropriate way for my script to
> interact with Filemaker? Can this be done with Filemaker Pro 6?
>
> According to the Filemaker Help, the "Local Data Access Companion"
> shares the FileMaker Pro database with ODBC-compliant applications on
> the same computer. Is this the right option?
>
> Can my CGI script be an ODBC client? How? Would it need to be
> Filemaker specific code or does ODBC have a standardised format?
>
> I'm grateful for any advice and a nudge in the right direction.
>
> Ian.

I don't know if this helps, but there is a PyFileMaker module for Python for interacting with FileMaker:
http://www.sourcefiles.org/Programming/Development/Modules/Python/PyFileMaker-1.2a4.zip

That seems to be the only still working link to the module I can find, so I'm guessing it's not in active development.

-Jay