Relative-importing *

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Aug 7 02:35:59 EDT 2007

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:45:23 +0000, rbygscrsepda wrote:
>
>> Specifically, in Python 1.5, all of the following generate the error
>> below:
>
> In Python *1.5*!?  I somehow doubt that.  ;-)
>
>>     from . import *
>>     from .sibiling_package import *
>>     from .. import *
>>     from ..cousin_package import *
>>
>>     SyntaxError: 'import *' not allowed with 'from .'
>>
>> Importing * is a feature, but this seems like an artificial
>> inconsistency to me. It's as if the compiler raises an error when it
>> tries to import * as soon as it sees "from .", regardless of what
>> comes after it. So is this a bug in python? And if it happens to be a
>> bug, how can I alert the developers of the python compiler?
>
> I'm just guessing here but as * imports are considered bad style the
> developers might took the opportunity to forbid them in relative imports
> because relative imports are new and this doesn't break old programs.

Yup, I searched around to find a specific statement of the reason but
couldn't find anything definite. Of course, if you are writing a set of
plugins then wildcard imports would seem like a train wreck waiting to
happen in terms of the discipline required to avoid name collisions.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119