is there anybody using __del__ correctly??

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 01:04:44 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 7:09 pm, Steven Bethard <steven.beth... at gmail.com> wrote:
> There were also a few recipes posted during this discussion that wrap
> weakrefs up a bit nicer so it's easier to use them in place of __del__:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/519635

I knew about your recipe and I thought it was clever, *very*
clever. I have been thinking about it a bit more today and
here is an alternative, which does not require metaclasses,
does not require descriptors, and does not require the user to
declare the attributes she will use in the __finalize__ method.
Warning: it is no more tested than the test case in your recipe:

import weakref

_get = object.__getattribute__
_set = object.__setattr__
_del = object.__delattr__

def getinnerobj(self):
    return _get(self, '*innerobj*')

class Impostor(object):
    "It tries very hard to impersonate the inner object"
    def __init__(self, obj):
        _set(self, '*innerobj*', obj)
    def __getattribute__(self, name):
        return getattr(getinnerobj(self), name)
    def __setattr__(self, name, value):
        _set(getinnerobj(self), name, value)
    def __delattr__(self, name):
        _del(getinnerobj(self), name)

_refset = set()

class Finalized(object):
    def __new__(cls, *args, **kw):
        self = super(Finalized, cls).__new__(cls, *args, **kw)
        self.__init__(*args, **kw)
        def finalize(ref, refset=_refset):
            refset.remove(ref)
            cls.__finalize__(self)
        fake = Impostor(self)
        _refset.add(weakref.ref(fake, finalize))
        return fake
    def __finalize__(self):
        pass

Hope you will enjoy it,