why psyco using more memery in liunx?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Aug 17 15:25:18 EDT 2007

kyo guan wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> 	When you import psyco in python2.5, you can see the memery grow up near 40MB in linux. but the same version python and
> psyco, is only grow up 1MB under windows.

I have a hunch it's because of how the OS's are reporting shared memory
usage.  IE, the 1 MB increase under windows may not be altogether
truthful, and neither is the reported 40 MB on linux.  Memory usage is
tricky to judge on any modern OS, as shared libraries do increase the
apparent memory use by an application, but the libraries are shared with
other applications and OS components.