Tkinter or wxpython?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:43:52 EDT 2007

On 06 Aug 2007 12:10:44 -0700, Paul Rubin
<"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> "Chris Mellon" <arkanes at gmail.com> writes:

<snip over-long thread>

I had a bunch of replies to each section but I think this is getting
too long so I'll sum up.

You repeatedly have used the word "slickness" as a pejorative. I find
that offensive and it's insulting to users. When I write applications,
I want the interface to be as smooth and trouble free as possible,
with a simple a learning curve and the fewest possible bumps for them.
This isn't a matter of adding chrome or shine or rounded corners and
specular highlights. It's about letting them enjoy working with an
application instead of tolerating it. It's the same reason I use
Python and not C. It's about respect for their time and their
preferences.

As a matter of time spent in development, I do not find that
non-trivial UIs are significantly easier to develop using web
interfaces.

As a matter of respect for the user, I'm not going to tell them to use
a trivial UI if a non-trivial one will save them time, learning
effort, or frustration. In order to make this decision, I like to work
with the people actually using it and watch them at work. To see what
kind of extra steps they have to take and where I can save them time
or inaccuracy or frustration.