Server-side scripting in python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Aug 21 09:40:00 EDT 2007

In article <1187614732.519547.296020 at j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Nagarajan  <naga86 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi group,
>I need to develop a web application. I am in a fix as to choose among
>the various server-side scripting options. I want to explore python
>(am a newbie) to gain expertise and upon search, I learnt about
>PSP(Python Server Pages) that uses Jython as its scripting language.
>Is it a better option over PHP or Perl? Could anyone point out the
>pros and cons of using PSP over others?
			.
			.
			.
I suspect that several of us don't understand your question.

Python supports several--arguably, a plethora, more than any other
language--distinct "frameworks" for server-side scripting of Web
applications <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks >.
PSP certainly is among these, although it's recommended <URL:
http://colorstudy.com/docs/shootout.html > less often than
several others.  Is PSP better than PHP or Perl?  First, do you
understand that PSP isn't directly comparable to PHP or Perl?  The
latter two are languages, while PSP is a Web framework.  In any
case, the answer is certain to be, "it depends".  There certainly
are situations for each of PSP, PHP, Perl, and many other technol-
ogies.

I summarize:  if you have an interest in practicing Python while
building Web applications, your prospects certainly are bright;
you'll receive abundant help from the folks here and elsewhere.
For us to provide more specific details about Perl, PSP, and so
on, meaningful to your own needs, will only be possible when you
articulate the latter more fully <URL:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html >.