IDE for Python

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:31:32 EDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> Ricardo Aráoz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       Do you know if for in-house development a GPL license applies? (Qt4
> > and/or Eric4).
>
> If your programs are used in-house and never released, then you don't
> have to abide by the terms of the GPL.

Slight clarification. You have to abide by the terms of the GPL no
matter what, but the terms of the GPL (might) not cover in-house
distribution.

The idea that "in-house" distribution isn't distribution and doesn't
invoke copyright claims is purely the opinion of the FSF, isn't
explicitly stated in the GPL, (maybe in GPL 3? I haven't been keeping
up) and isn't supported by case law. This means that people who
distribute under the GPL but do not agree with the FSFs definition of
"distribute" may have a problem with in-house development that doesn't
obey the GPL.

As a final note, *using* Eric or any other application written in
Qt/PyQt doesn't have any effect on you - this only matters if you are
writing your own applications using Qt.

As a doubly final note, this isn't legal advice, I'm not a lawyer, ask
lawyers, not the internet, for legal advice, etc, etc.