Determining if file is valid image file

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:48:39 EDT 2007

On Aug 2, 4:25 pm, Jarek Zgoda <jzg... at o2.usun.pl> wrote:
> André napisa³(a):

> >> Is the module imghdr enough for your needs?
>
> > Yes, thanks.
>
> Be aware that broken images (i.e. partially downloaded) in many cases
> pass the imghdr.what() test. This function checks for patterns in files,
> just like "file" utility.

That's all I need; I'm not concerned about broken images.  I am
writing a web app and need to prevent someone using redirection to
send malicious content when I'm supposedly loading an image file.  So,
what I plan to do is open the file using urlopen, preload the image
and see if it is valid; if so, I pass it on to the browser.

To find out more, look for "redirect" on the following page (it is the
first occurence of that word)
http://ha.ckers.org/xss.html