Asking all python programmers.

J Sisson sisson.j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:23:39 EDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Lamonte Harris <pyth0nc0d3r at gmail.com> wrote:

> From a python starter, I don't like the word noob because it sounds very
> unprofessional.

Touche`...haha

I second the motion for "Dive Into Python."  It's an excellent book, and you
really can't beat the price (free online as Shawn has pointed out).  I've
also discovered that learning python is easier when you have a defined goal
("learn xyz language" has never cut it for me...I have to have a much more
specific goal in mind to accomplish anything).  For instance, during my
senior project in college, my team lead was worried we wouldn't get enough
data gathered in time to present our work.  I took that opportunity to write
a few Python scripts that would hunt the internet for the data we were
looking for and insert it into our database (after scrubbing/etc...).
Having that specific task (rather, having the specific problem to solve)
accelerated my learning because I was focused on a *real* issue, not a vague
"learn xyz".

Tutorials and challenges, while useful, can't take the place of learning a
language to solve a problem *you* want to solve.  Look for a task that would
make your life easier, then see how you can apply Python to it...