Stackless Integration

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Aug 9 11:52:51 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Jean-Paul Calderone a écrit :
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 09:00:27 -0000, "Justin T." <jmtulloss at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been looking at stackless python a little bit, and it's awesome.
>>> My question is, why hasn't it been integrated into the upstream python
>>> tree? Does it cause problems with the current C-extensions? It seems
>>> like if something is fully compatible and better, then it would be
>>> adopted. However, it hasn't been in what appears to be 7 years of
>>> existence, so I assume there's a reason.
>> It's not Pythonic.
>
> Hum... Yes ? Really ? Care to argument ?

Unfortunately such arguments quickly descend to the "yes it is", "no it
isn't" level, as there is no objective measure of Pythonicity.

Twisted is a complex set of packages which is difficult to understand
from the outside,and is motivated by a specific approach to asynchronous
operations that is neither well understood by the majority of
programmers nor easily-explained to them. All the teaching sessions on
Twisted I have attended have involved a certain amount of hand-waving or
some over-heavy code examples with inadequate explanations.

However I would say that Twisted has improve enormously over the last
five years, and should really be a candidate for inclusion in the
standard library. It would be a large component, though, and so there
would be a number of heavy tasks involved, not least of them updating
the documentation. So maintenance might be a worry unless a group stood
up and committed to the task.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119