My 'time' module is broken, unsure of cause

darren kirby bulliver at badcomputer.org
Thu Aug 23 13:22:55 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have a strange error here and I am unsure how to further investigate it:

Python 2.4.4 (#1, Aug 23 2007, 10:51:29)
[GCC 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2)] on linux2
>>> import time
40:42:0
>>> now = time.time()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'time'

Notice the '40:42:0' that always gets output. I searched Gentoo's bugzilla but
can not see anything relevant. I rebuilt python but the behavior recurs. I am
unsure if the issue is with Python, Gentoo, or perhaps with the underlying
lib (presumably glibc) that Python uses for the time module. This is working
fine on another machine (also 2.4.4, GCC 3.4.6,  Gentoo Hardened).

Anyone seen this? Any hints for me to track this issue down? Any further
information I could provide?

Thanks for consideration,
-d