Learning Python using a book based on version 1.5

Matt McCredie mccredie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 16:46:14 EDT 2007

> A friend of mine dropped off a copy of Sams Teach Yourself Python in
> 24 Hours published in 2000.  I skimmed the first couple of chapters
> looking for the interpreter version and the book was based on version
> Python version 1.5.
>
> Is this book still relevant?   Should I toss it and look for something
> newer?

I'm sure it contains a fair amount of relevant information. The
problem is, it will also  contain irrelevant information and there is
no way to tell the difference. There definitely some better resources
out there. Here are some good free online ones:

http://docs.python.org/tut/
http://www.diveintopython.org/

-Matt