wxPython - drawing without paint event

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 20:58:51 EDT 2007

On Aug 12, 4:11 pm, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> 7stud wrote:
> > On Aug 12, 2:20 pm, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
> > mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> >> But any suggestions what's
> >> better for a beginner? The (incomplete) tutorial surely not.
>
> > Another GUI toolkit.
>
> Well if all you have to offer is fatuous advice you would be helping
> people more by keeping quiet. wxPython is a more-than-adequate GUI
> toolkit, as has been proved in many successful projects.
>
> What other toolkits have you used, and to what effect, and on what size
> of program? I suspect you are not particularly well-qualified to be
> answering this question in the first place, although as always you are
> entitled to your opinion. It's just that you appear to have an inflated
> value of its worth.
>
> regards
>   Steve
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd          http://www.holdenweb.com
> Skype: holdenweb      http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
> --------------- Asciimercial ------------------
> Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
> Many services currently offer free registration
> ----------- Thank You for Reading -------------

If you've followed 7Stud's posts, you'll note that he/she is always
short and mildly to extremely abrupt or rude. Robin Dunn has written
on multiple occasions on the wxPython list about the trouble's they
had organizing the book with the publisher.

While the book does have issues, it is better (in my opinion) than the
only published Tkinter book, although both books are now outdated.
However, I have found that with practice, I can write a fairly complex
GUI front-end with wxPython in only a couple of hours.

As with all programming, if you don't practice, you won't learn.

Mike