Pass by reference or by value?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:02:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

I previously created a topic named "Pass by reference or by value" where I
inquired on how python's function parameters work. I received a lot of nice
C++ background to Python, so any comparisons to C++ would be very helpful.

I ran a few tests. There's two tests in particular I wanted to show you
guys:
myvar = []

def changeme( param ):
    param.append( "blah" )
    print param

changeme( myvar )

print myvar

The above code yields the following output:
['blah']
['blah']

This means that the list passed in was modified by the function.
Now test case 2:

myvar = 4

def changeme( param ):
    param = 5
    print param

changeme( myvar )

print myvar

The above code yields the following output:
5
4

This means that the integer passed in was NOT modified by the function.

Between these two tests, both types passed in are mutable objects. I'm
having trouble figuring out what mandates an object to be changed from
within a function versus not. What is happening in test case 2 to cause it
to not be modified?

Thanks for reading guys. Hopefully one day I'll understand this lol.