tarfile module for version 2.2.3

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Aug 24 03:57:15 EDT 2007

I have to write a little program that has to run on a number of hosts.
Versions of python range from 2.2.3. to 2.4.2.

The easiest way to implement the necessary behaviour seems to me to
use the tarfile module. However that was only introduced in 2.3
I had a look in the code and at first sight couldn't find anything
that would cause problems if I used this module with python 2.2.3.

Could someone confirm that the tarmodule is compatible with python 2.2.
I will try some tests myself but it would be nice to have confirmation
from elsewhere.

--
Antoon Pardon