XML Processing

Jay Loden python at jayloden.com
Thu Aug 2 15:09:20 EDT 2007

kyosohma at gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 2, 1:45 pm, Roman <rgelfa... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a package that converts a string that contains special
>> characters in xml to to literal value.  For instance, converts stringhttp://myhome/&paramtohttp://myhome/&param.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> I've seen examples using the HTMLgen module. But here's another script
> I just found:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/1999-November/016814.html
>
> I would think that you could use regular expressions too.
>
> Mike

I would reccommend against using the example above or using regular expressions, since both are likely to miss corner cases, and the stdlib has an encode function that's already designed for this task

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.sax.saxutils.html

The encode() function in xml.sax.saxutils also is extensible, should you run into any entities that it fails to escape in the current implementation.

-Jay