Puzzled by "is"

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Aug 12 05:41:03 EDT 2007

Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com> writes:

> At 06:13 PM 8/9/2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> >it's entirely left to the language implementation which
> >optimisation trade-offs to make, and the language user (that's you
> >and I) should *not* expect any particular behaviour to hold between
> >different implementations.
>
> I'm not clear on the meaning of "implementations" here.  Would 2.5
> for Windows, Mac, Linux all be different implementations? Would Iron
> Python be another? ActivePython?

For the purpose of the above statement, you should consider even the
same Python on two different machines to be "different
implementations". As a programmer writing Python code, you should not
expect any "implementation-dependent" behaviour to operate in any
particular way.

--
 \      "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more |
  `\   to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a |