We need PIGs :)

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Aug 30 07:13:42 EDT 2007

Martin Marcher a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> having worked quite a bit with python in the last months (some Java
> before, and some C++ before that) I was very impressed by an idea the
> Java people had.
>
> Explanation: the JSRs define how to implement certain services and or
> features in Java so that they can be reused. I haven't found such a
> thing for python yet.

(snip)
> My idea was to define "Python Implementation Guidelines" (PIGs) that
> specify a problem formalize it enough so that implementations are
> interchangeable (in this example create a module that has an
> "authenticate(username, password)" method so that one could easily
> take that module for any given app and then authenticate against
> postgres, and also against my plaintext file (which was the original -
> quite useless - implementation).
>
> Does that sound like a good idea or would that be over formalization?

The problem with Java is that it makes it very painfull to bridge two
APIs together, while Python usually makes it a breeze (easy delegation,
no dumb-ass psycho-rigid type system). So Java's solution
(hyper-formalization) isn't necessary here.

Now there's something along this line - just much more useful and
flexible IMHO - in Zope3 and Twisted. You may want to look at Zope's
"Interfaces" for more infos on this, or to read this post by the BDFL:

HTH