Simple python iteration question

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 15 14:18:00 EDT 2007

Dennis Lee Bieber schreef:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:39:57 -0300, "Gabriel Genellina"
> <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
>> "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
>> hurtling down the highway"
>> (Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 1996; maybe the origin is much
>> older)
>
> 	Considering how few "proper" "station wagons" were manufactured at
> that time period... Volvo was about it -- all the other makers tended to
> push "mini-vans"... Besides Volvo, I think the only current production
> station wagon is the Dodge Magnum (and that looks more like a
> chopped/channeled surfer hot-rod).

At least in Europe (including the Netherlands where Tanenbaum lives),
station wagons were still popular then. Minivans have displaced them
somewhat since then, but by 1996 there were still quite a few station
wagons on the roads. There still are quite a few of them around; my boss
just bought a new Saab 9-3 station wagon.

Manufacturers who made (and make) station wagons include VW (e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vw_passat_b3_v_sst.jpg), Mercedes
(e.g. http://www.mediaweb06.com/diffusion/annonces/033f1ccd.jpg), BMW
(e.g. http://www.degrifcars.com/images/BMW/Series3/b_Series3_break.jpg),
Renault (e.g.