What order does info get returned in by os.listdir()

Jeremy C B Nicoll jernic at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 16:52:10 EDT 2007

What order does info get returned in by os.listdir() ?

I'm just starting to write python code, on an Win XP Pro machine.  I've got
various directories which, when I look at them in Win XP, sorted by name, I
see in order, eg:

   ~prefixed file   .txt
   A.txt
   B.txt
   Z.txt

ie, XP seems to think that files with a "~" as their first character are
sorted ahead of A.

When I use os.listdir() to return that list of leaf values, I do seem to get
them in alphabetical order, A before B before C etc, but the ~-prefixed ones
are returned after the Z-prefixed files rather than before the A-ones.

I was wondering why...